Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Musings on rocket stoves

In reading The Urban Homestead, I have been getting interested in taking a closer look at rocket stoves (more at wikipedia).

I wonder if there is a way to make a combination rocket stove / solar oven. So you could use a small amount of fuel if clouds (or timing) make solar unavailable. Or use both to obtain high heat. You could use a parabolic trough to bring in heated air into the intake of the rocket stove. You could also use a fresnel lens to goose the heat at the rocket's output.

2 comments:

  1. I've been experimenting with solar cooking. I'd be very interested in seeing your design for a combo stove.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tanya, I still need to do some dabbling, but I'll be happy to share any designs I come up with. My goal is to be able to do bread and pizza and the like.

    ReplyDelete